- Preparation: 65 minutes
- 6 zucchini, medium size
- 2 tbsp (30mL) butter, melted
- 2 cups (500mL) mushrooms, chopped
- 1/2 cup (125mL) onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 tsp (1mL) ground marjoram
- 1 1/3 cups (325 mL) SALERNO - Grated 100% Romano Cheese, divided
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1/2 cup (125mL) dry bread crumbs, fine
- 1 tbsp (15mL) butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). In a large pot, cook zucchini for 5 minutes; drain and rinse under cold water. Cut in half lengthwise, scoop out pulp and set aside shells. Chop pulp.
- In non-stick skillet, melt 2 tbsp (30 mL) of butter on medium high. Cook mushrooms, onions and garlic until liquid has evaporated. Add zucchini pulp; cook and stir for 5 minutes or until most of the liquid has evaporated. Remove from heat and let cool slightly. Stir in egg, marjoram and half of romano cheese. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Place zucchini shells on a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Divide mushroom-zucchini mixture evenly among shells. Combine bread crumbs and 1 tbsp (15 mL) melted butter with remaining cheese. Sprinkle over filled shells. Bake for 30 minutes or until cheese has melted and topping is golden.
- Good source of vitamin C.