- Preparation: 32 Minutes
- 3 cups (750mL) flour
- 4 tbsp (60mL) sugar
- 1 tsp (5mL) cinnamon
- 4 tbsp (60mL) shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1 oz (30mL) water
- 1 cup (250mL) SALERNO - Traditional Ricotta
- 1 cup (250mL) sugar
- 1 tbsp (15mL) vanilla
- Mix the flour, sugar and cinnamon together in a bowl, and cut in the shortening until mixture is fine.
- Add beaten eggs, reserving two tablespoons, and blend into flour and shortening, then add just enough water to make a smooth ball of dough. Knead for one minute, then chill until ready to use.
- Roll dough into a fairly thin sheet, and cut into 3 inch by 5 inch squares. Roll the squares around the metal tubes and seal the edges with beaten eggs. Heat the oil to 375ºF and cook rolls until golden brown all over.
- Drain on paper towels and let cool, then remove the metal tubes.
- Combine Salerno Ricotta Cheese, sugar, vanilla and lemon zest in a bowl. Whisk until smooth. Fill cannoli rolls with the mixture using a piping bag with a large rosette tip. Place on platter, sprinkle with a little icing sugar and serve.
- Note: For ease, you can purchase pre-made cannoli shells and use this recipe for the filling.