- Yields: 6
- Preparation: 290 minutes
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 1 tbsp (15mL) corn syrup
- 1-2 pinches salt
- 10 oz semi-sweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup (175mL) Nutella
- 1/4 cup (50mL) sugar
- 1 pkg (500g) SALERNO - Mascarpone
- 1/2 cup (125mL) whipping cream, whipped
- 1 tbsp (15mL) vanilla extract
- 6 eggs
- 2 1/2 cups (625mL) whole milk
- 1/2 tsp (2.5mL) salt
- 1/3 cup (75mL) sugar
- 1 1/2 cups (375mL) all purpose flour
- 8 oz semi-sweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup (175mL) unsalted butter, cut into pieces, plus some for coating in the pan
- For the filling, place Salerno Mascarpone Cheese and sugar into a bowl. Cream until smooth. Add Nutella and beat until well combined. In a separate bowl whip cream until soft peaks form.
- Gently fold whipped cream into the Mascarpone mixture. Cover and set aside in the refrigerator.
- Bring 1/4 cup water to a rolling boil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Add butter, one piece at a time, whisking to combine after each addition. Remove from heat; stir in chocolate until completely melted. Set aside.
- Whisk together flour, sugar, and salt in a medium bowl. Whisk together milk, eggs, and vanilla in another medium bowl.
- Gradually add milk mixture to flour mixture, whisking until smooth.
- Add chocolate-butter mixture, whisking until smooth. Pour through a fine sieve into an airtight container; discard lumps. Refrigerate at least 2 hours or up to overnight.
- Lightly coat an 8-inch crêpe pan or nonstick skillet with melted butter. Heat over medium heat until just starting to smoke.
- Remove pan from heat; pour about 2 tablespoons of batter into the pan, swirling to cover bottom. Reduce heat to medium-low; return pan to heat.
- Cook, flipping once, until edges are golden and centre is dry, about 30 seconds per side.
- Slide crêpe onto a plate. Repeat process with remaining batter, coating pan with butter as needed. Crêpes can be refrigerated, covered, up to 1 day.
- Place a crêpe on a wire rack set over a rimmed baking sheet. Spread with about 3 tablespoons of filling. Top with another crêpe.
- Continue layering with filling and crêpes, using about 32 crêpes (or until cake reaches desired height), ending with a crêpe on top. Refrigerate until firm, about 15 minutes.
- To make the chocolate glaze, bring cream, corn syrup, and salt to a boil in a medium-heavy saucepan over medium-high heat. Remove from heat.
- Add chocolate; swirl pan to cover completely with cream. Let stand to about 5 minutes. Stir until smooth. Let cool completely. Spoon 1/2 cup glaze on top of the cake, spreading to edges.
- Spread remaining glaze around sides of cake, coating completely. Refrigerate until glaze is firm and set, about 20 minutes. Cake can be refrigerated up to 3 days. Garnish with fresh berries before serving.