- Yields: 4-6
- Preparation: 90 minutes
- 1 lb (500g) mild Italian sausages, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1 lb (500g) ziti pasta
- 1 cup (250mL) mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup (125mL) SALERNO - Grated Romano Cheese
- 1 tsp (5mL) salt
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1-2 tsp (2-4mL) olive oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1/4 tsp (1mL) pepper
- 1/4 tsp (1mL) oregano
- 1/4 tsp (1mL) chilli flakes, crushed
- 2 cups (500mL) tomato sauce
- 1 cup (250mL) SALERNO - Mozzarella Cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place sausage in a frying pan and fry on medium heat until sausage is brown and cooked through. Set aside. In a separate frying pan, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onions and garlic and sauté until onions are soft and garlic starts changing colour. Add crushed chillies and mushrooms. Sauté, stirring frequently until all the water from the mushrooms is absorbed and they start turning brown. Set aside.
- Cook ziti pasta according to the instructions on the package. Drain and place in a mixing bowl. Add the cooked sausage, the mushroom mixture, salt, pepper, oregano, half of the Salerno Romano Cheese, half of the Salerno Mozzarella Cheese and one cup of the tomato sauce. Mix until well combined. Transfer mixture into a greased baking dish and pour the remaining cup of tomato sauce over the top. Sprinkle with the remaining Salerno Romano Cheese and shredded Salerno Mozzarella Cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, for 45 minutes or until cheese is bubbling and golden brown.