- Yields: 8
- Preparation: 330 Minutes
- 2 ciabatta loaves, sliced
- 1-2 tbsp (15-30mL) pesto
- 4 tbsp (60mL) extra virgin olive oil
- 4 plum tomatoes, sliced
- 4-6 tbsp (60-90mL) black olives, drained
- 8 SALERNO - Bocconcini
- Bake the ciabatta loaves if necessary (check the pack instructions), until crisp.
- Leave them to cool. Cut the loaves in half. Scoop out some of the bread from the halves and discard it (or use it to make breadcrumbs).
- Mix the pesto and olive oil together, then brush the mixture over the cut surfaces of the bread. Use half of the remaining ingredients for each loaf.
- Working on one loaf at a time, spread half the peppers over the bottom of the loaf, then arrange half the sliced tomato on top.
- Season the tomato with salt and pepper, and sprinkle the olives and some torn basil on top.
- Top with slices of Salerno Bocconcini Cheese and layer the remaining ingredients in reverse order (i.e. olives, torn basil, tomato slices and peppers).
- Place half of the ciabatta on the top on the sandwich. Wrap the loaf in parchment paper and tie tightly with string to hold it together. Fill the other loaf and wrap the same way.
- Chill loaves for at least four hours or overnight, turning them over once or twice so the juices from the tomatoes are evenly absorbed.
- To serve, keep the loaves wrapped and slice each into four pieces. Do this in advance or take a knife and cutting board to the picnic.