- Yields: 4 servings
- Preparation: 11 minutes
- 4 pita breads
- 8 tbsp (120mL) tomato sauce
- 4 ham slices, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup (250mL) SALERNO - Mozzarella Cheese, finely sliced
- 1 tbsp (15mL) GAY LEA - Salted Butter
- 1 onion, small, chopped
- 1/2 green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup (125mL) mushrooms, sliced
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1 pinch oregano
- Finely slice all the vegetables. Melt the butter in skillet and lightly cook the vegetables approximately 1 minute until soft. Add pinch of oregano, salt and pepper and mix well. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Spread tomato sauce over pita breads. On one half place ham, vegetables and mozzarella slices. Fold closed and hold in place with a toothpick.
- Serve warm or cold.
- Excellent source of thiamine and vitamin C.