- Yields: 6
- Preparation: 130 minutes
- 2 cups (500mL) SALERNO - Traditional Ricotta
- 1 cup (250mL) sugar
- 1 tbsp (15mL) all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp (1.2mL) lemon peel, grated
- 1/4 tsp (1.2mL) orange peel
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsp (10mL) vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup (75mL) semi-sweet chocolate
- 1/3 cup (75mL) candied citron
- 1/8 tsp (.6mL) ground cinnamon
- 1 2/3 cup (400mL) all purpose flour
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup (62.5mL) shortening
- 1/4 cup (62.5mL) butter
- 1/4 tsp (1mL) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2mL) salt
- 2 tbsp (30mL) sugar
- In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar, salt and baking powder; cut in butter and shortening until mixture resembles small crumbs. Add eggs; stir until moistened and mixture forms a ball. Cover and refrigerate for one hour.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to a 10” circle. Place in a 9” pie plate and flute the crust. Refrigerate.
- For filling, beat the Salerno Ricotta Cheese, sugar and flour in a mixing bowl. Add peels and pinch of salt; beat until smooth.
- In another bowl, beat eggs until thick and lemon-coloured, about 5 minutes, and slowly fold into ricotta mixture. Gently mix in remaining ingredients.
- Pour into the crust.
- Bake at 350°F for 55 minutes or until a knife inserted near the centre comes out clean.
- Cool. Store in the refrigerator.