- Yields: 8
- Preparation: 130 Minutes
- 1/2 tsp (2mL) ground cinnamon
- 1 lb (500g) pumpkin, peeled and seeded and cut into pieces
- 1 cup (250mL) SALERNO - Mozzarella Cheese, shredded
- 2 tbsp (30mL) olive oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 10 oz (295mL) baby spinach
- 16 oz (473mL) SALERNO - Traditional Ricotta
- 1/3 cup (75mL) SALERNO - Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1 cup (250mL) mushrooms, sliced
- 1 1/2 tsp nutmeg, ground
- 1/2 lb (250g) lean ground beef
- 2 tbsp (30mL) tomato paste
- 12 lasagna noodles, cooked
- 14.5 oz (428mL) tomato puree
- Fill a saucepan with a 1/2 inch of water, then add pumpkin pieces. Bring to boil over high heat; reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and steam until the pumpkin is very tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Drain pumpkin, then mash with 1 tbsp butter, cinnamon, salt and pepper to taste. Set aside. Melt 2 tbsp butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Whisk in flour and cook, stirring constantly, until the paste just begins to turn golden, about 2 minutes. Whisk in milk gradually so that no lumps form. Bring to a gentle boil. Add the bay leaves and reduce heat to low or warm.
- Allow to gently cook for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in onion, fennel, and garlic; cook until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes. Add spinach and cook until wilted.
- Scrape mixture into a large bowl, and mix well with Salerno Ricotta Cheese and nutmeg.
- Using the same skillet, heat another 1 tbsp olive oil over high heat. Brown ground beef, mixing thoroughly to break into small pieces. Once browned, reduce heat to medium-low and drain off excess grease. Stir in tomato paste and tomato puree. Gently simmer until thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Using 9 x 13-inch lasagna dish, cover the bottom with a layer of meat sauce.
- Place 4 lasagna noodles on top; do not overlap. Spread the ricotta mixture evenly over noodles; sprinkle with 1/3 of Salerno Parmesan Cheese. Place another 4 noodles on top of the ricotta, then spread evenly with the mashed pumpkin. Place the remaining 4 noodles on top of the pumpkin and top with the tomato sauce; top with shredded Salerno Mozzarella Cheese and the remainder of Salerno Parmesan Cheese.
- Place lasagna dish onto a foil-lined baking sheet (to catch any spills). Bake for 30 to 45 minutes until cheese bubbles and start to turn golden.
- Remove lasagna from the oven and let sit for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.